Subtitle

The Not Quite Adventures of a Professional Archaeologist and Aspiring Curmudgeon

Monday, March 17, 2008

...and so here I am...

My name is Matthew, and I am an archaeologist. There, I've admitted my problem, now there's just eleven steps to go...



As I say, I am an archaeologist. Yep, like Indiana Jones. In fact, just like Indiana Jones, but with more sorting of gravel and less fighting of Nazis.



Okay, I'm nothing like Indiana Jones, but at least I'm younger than Harrison Ford. But I digress...



I work in what is known as "Cultural Resource Management" - basically, if you are trying to get building permits, you may be required to have a suite of environmental studies done, which may include archaeology, in order to ensure that the addition of bay windows to your home doesn't do incalculable environmental damage, or some such thing. If archaeological studies happen to be part of the conditions for your permit, I'm the guy you call to check out the land and make sure that you aren't going to be destroying anything (or if you are going to be destroying something, I'm the guy who digs it up and writes about it in an obscure report that nobody but me and a city planner will ever read).



The basic reasons why I have decided to start keeping this blog are threefold: 1) enough oddball things happen to me on the job that I thought it might entertain someone else to read the stories, and if nothing else it would at least let folks know what my job is like, as there are some odd misconceptions floating about out there; 2) I am trying to improve my writing, and knowing that other people wil be reading it makes me a bit more likely to put some effort into it, and besides, I might get constructive criticism, which is always welcome; 3) I have an ego the size of the Pacific and I want it fed by attention from strangers.



So, there you go. Some of my posts will be about archaeology, some will be about whatever the hell I feel like writing about. And my first few posts will be things that I had originally posted elsewhere, but there ya' go.

1 comment:

ian said...

The anthro-slug may not be Indiana Jones, but some embeleshing never hurt!...

...the fantastic Mis-Adventure's of anthro-slug-a man,(quite possibly!),scientis are still trying to determine that fact!-anthro-slugs dna composition is morphed, quazi protoplazm into aleitist ego-ism and hi fructose corn syrup...beware and keep your children away- anthro-slug is lurking with shovel and note pad!!