Subtitle

The Not Quite Adventures of a Professional Archaeologist and Aspiring Curmudgeon

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Portland, Oregon Photos

Okay, this is the last of the travel photo blog posts for a while, I promise.

Late last year, Kay and I took a trip to Portland. Below are some of the photos I took while there, but I am trying to avoid posting simple travel photos, I actually tried ot take some that had aesthetic merit beyond simply being images from my trip.

So, for starters - Kay looks away from me while in a coffee shop:




Laura does her best to look either dour or very bored while in the same coffee shop:



Okay, so this one isn't particularly aesthetically pleasing:

...but there is a good story behind it. Kay and I went on a "haunted Portland" walking tour (Kay's idea, even though I'm the one who enjoys the ghost stories - she's a damn fien travel companion, I must say), and were led into the basement of one of the buildings downtown. The tour guide insists that the basement is haunted by the spirit of a dead prostitute, and handed us EMF meters and gave us a line that....well, really, that need sto be its own blog entry. Anyway, the scrabble pieces are sitting in a bowl because, the tour guide insisted, the ghost of "Nina" (pronounce Ny-na), the aforementioned dead prostitute, used them to comunicate with the living.



Kay in a mock-up of one of the Mercury Space Capsules - apparently she can retaliate with photos of me trying to fit my bulky mass into the same things, so perhaps I shouldn't have posted this...




In the middle of this huge march, this woman sat in an "island" of calm to tend to a child. I don't know why, but I really like this photo:



I just thought that the scaffolding on the building made for an interestingly symmetrical image:




Looking up at the sky from within the courtyard of an old brick building:



And lastly...Kay and Laura walking away from me pretending as if they do not know me...probably a wise move on their part, really.

2 comments:

Evan Davis said...

Let me know next time you're up here. We'll hang out or something.

Anthroslug said...

The timing on this trip was funny - you let me know that you were moving there the week after I returned from Portland. Kay and I thought that it was rather amusing.

At any rate, of course I'll tell you the next time I go up that way. I'll meet up with you, and introduce you to a couple of other friends I have in that area.