Subtitle

The Not Quite Adventures of a Professional Archaeologist and Aspiring Curmudgeon

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Sierra Nevada Fieldwork Photos

Yeah, I know, bad blog keeper, I've not been updating. I've been working an insane schedule, and I haven't had time to write updates. For the moment, then, pictures of field work!

These are solution cups, they are not bedrock mortars, though they are often mistaken for bedrock mortars. They are formed by natural processes, and I get annoyed when I get site records referring to these as bedrock mortars.


Pat and I discovered a strange sort of memorial in the middle of the forest, away from roads.


Surprisingly, there were a number of meadows at high elevation near the peaks, places that could only be reached by helicotper.


And, really, you can never look so dorky as you do when you map a site using a high-powered GPS unit.

No comments: