Subtitle

The Not Quite Adventures of a Professional Archaeologist and Aspiring Curmudgeon

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

On the Move Yet Again

I had hoped that I would be able to get back into keeping the blog regularly this week. However, I spent the last few days setting up my home office, precluding me from doing other things, and late yesterday afternoon I was informed that I have to pack up and head out to the Mojave today.

Working for a private company doing this sort of archaeological preservation and protection work has many perks. However, there are certain drawbacks as well. One of them is that when you are engaged in a large and complex project, such as the one that I am currently working on, there is always a possibility that you will be called away from home at the last minute, making plans and a personal life somewhat difficult to manage.

Still, sometimes when I am called away like this, I get to go to places and see things that other people never do. So, it's a trade off. As I get older, I crave more stability, but I know that I will eventually reach a stage in my career when these sorts of things don't happen. I look forward to that, though I think I will occasionally have a twinge of nostalgia for the crazier days of fieldwork.

No comments: