Subtitle

The Not Quite Adventures of a Professional Archaeologist and Aspiring Curmudgeon

Friday, June 22, 2012

Revenge of HAZWOPER!

These last couple of months have not been kind to my ability to write on this blog.  I have had a series of involving projects at work, I have had to help Kaylia with various medical issues, baby prep is keeping us occupied at home, and I have been sent out of town somewhat frequently. 

So, as much as I like writing this blog, it's been relatively low on the priority list.  Which is unfortunate, as I do really enjoy writing for it.

Anyway, with any luck I will be back on track with writing at some point before the end of the year.

For now, though, I am spending the day at work doing a HAZWOPER refresher course.  HAZWOPER, for those new or who don't remember earlier posts, is the Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response certification.  As we frequently end up having to dig through old industrial waste and monitor construction and remediation work in places with industrial waste, it's not uncommon for archaeologists to be HAZWOPER certified.  I did the full 40-hour course last year (two of my more popular posts describe it and the various imbeciles also taking the class, and they can be found here and here).

Thankfully, the refresher course is only 8 hours, and I can do it on-line (though this is only recommended every other year, as it is a good idea to be in the classroom regularly as well).  This means that I don't have to deal with the twits I dealt with last time: the prison preacher, the pretty-boy oil field worker, the comic-book-guy-like fellow who wanted me to hire him as an "archaeologist's assistant, etc.  On the downside, I don't get any more amusing stories about those twits. 

I am a bit torn on these courses.  On the one hand, I am happy to be able to do them, and they do add to my employability and my skill base, which is quite good in my opinion.  On the other hand, it means that I am one of the few people around these parts likely to be sent off to deal with hazardous waste, and even with the training and safe work practices, this does put me at a slightly elevated risk for problems.  Still, with a kid on the way and a desire to continue advancing career-wise, I suppose that doing this sort of thing is a net good.

Anyway, I hope that my readers are having more relaxing summers.

1 comment:

running track striping said...

I truly like to reading your post. Thank you so much for taking the time to share such a nice information.