Subtitle

The Not Quite Adventures of a Professional Archaeologist and Aspiring Curmudgeon

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Feast or Famine

One of the more annoying aspects of consulting work is the feast-or-famine nature of the enterprise.  So, I can have a period of a few weeks when I am having to scrounge for work to keep my time card full, followed by a couple of weeks in which I don't have time to breath.

I have to wonder how this is going to play out in the future.  It's already a bit of a trouble when I get bogged down - Kaylia can't drive, and Fresno has truly horrendous public transportation, so me being busy at work results either in Kaylia having trouble getting around town or in me leaving work to provide transportation and returning to work later, often coming home rather late.  With a child, things may be more chaotic, and it is going to be a challenge to keep things running.  At the same time, I will need to keep things running as I am the only income for our family.

The flip side is that when things are slower and there isn't as much work, while I am available to take care of errands and chores without burying myself in work, I am less certain that I will be able to put together enough work to justify a full-time salary, which is necessary because, as noted, I am the only income in our family.

Yay, stress!

Now, clearly it is possible to manage this, as several people who I know (including two with whom I currently work) have done so while they were in my current position.  Luckily, as noted, I work with them, so I can pick their brains and make sure that I am managing, as well.

Still, I would be lying if I were to say that there aren't times that I worry.

1 comment:

Evan Davis said...

Look on the bright side. Famine will allow you to take that four day trip to Disneyland with your daughter or just hang out with both your girls at the park for the afternoon.